and welcome to our first Share the Word contest, YunJae edition!
This challenge is an opportunity for all avid readers out there to show appreciation for the wonderful writers of this fandom and all the good works they've produced. Your opinion is all that counts!
The goal is to write a long review for your favourite fic and comment on the good and bad things about it, exploring on the different aspects of it and showing us why we should (or should not) read this fic you have loved so much. We know how much effort writers put on every piece they bring forth to our communities, so it's only fair that we show them their efforts haven't gone unnoticed, right?But
why write a review
instead of a fic
? Easy. As much as we all love
to read fiction, we are very aware that a very large portion of fandom doesn't really write fics; they only read instead. And we also know that most writers continue (or not) their writing careers based on the response their work gets. They write for us, we keep them going, it's an inevitable cycle. Writers spend the time producing the fics that we love, and we do the same by sitting in front of a blank reply box several times a day/week, wondering to ourselves: "What can I say to this person that will make them acknowledge how much I appreciate this thing they are working on?
If you notice, most of the contests held so far are only for writers or artists, none for readers
. We think readers have never really gotten any public recognition, no matter how hard they were trying to make an insightful or deep comment about any work they have read, so we're about to make this right for once!Plus
, given the outrageous number of fics on the Internet, it would be preposterous to read one by one to find what we like. A shortcut is to ask for recommendations from fellow readers, but how do we know whether the fic they recommend suits our taste? That is what a review is for, and what this contest strives for: to allow readers to spazz over their favourite fics and to help new readers find fics that match their preference.And
why just YunJae
instead of DBSK general fandom
? Simple. Because the three masterminds behind all this are three die-hard devote YunJae fangirls with too much love for the pairing for their own good.Alright!
Onto the rules and technical stuff: Terms and ConditionsTHE REVIEW
1. Must be at least 600 words long
2. Must be your original work. Plagiarism is a serious offense that can result in disqualification.
3. You are not allowed to review your own fics, or any fics which you own more than 50% of the writing rights. You can review a fic you provided the plot bunny for, as long as you did not play any part in the writing/construction of the fic.
4. You must be objective in your review, focussing on the many aspects of the fic and not just how much you love it. You’re supposed to convince people to read the fic because it’s good, not just because it’s your favourite.
5. Fangirly remarks such as “OMG YUNJAE LOOK SOOOO GOOOD TOGETHER” are not allowed.
6. To avoid sounding fangirly, it is recommendable (but not obligatory) to identify and elaborate on ONE flaw the fic has.
7. Multiple entries are allowed, as long as they are on different fics. Each contestant can review on a maximum of 3 fics.
8. Please get someone to beta your entry before submitting it. If you can’t find anyone, tell us and we’ll get someone to beta it for you.
9. Please provide the link to the fic inside your review. The winning reviews will be chosen based on how insightful and convincing they are.THE FIC
The fic you review must fulfil the following criteria:
2. More than 10000 words long
3. Decently written with minimal typos and grammatical errors
4. Accessible, i.e. not friend-locked or community-locked
5. Not posted at a site where an account or password is required (for non-LJ sites)
6. The main pairing or focus of the fic must be Yunjae. Additional or side pairings are allowed. To
make it fair and square for all those many good authors out there, think hard about that one fic you want to review. If it's a super well known fic, chances are some other contestants are going to review it too. In any case, you can ask the original writer if they've gotten requests to review this or that fic already. We won't ask
people to change their chosen fics, but do keep in mind that the purpose of this contest is to celebrate writers and their work, so the more fics we review, the better!!
Fanfiction written by the organizing team can be reviewed as well, since we're not judging the fanfiction itself, but the review. Needless to say, this will not affect the score for the review in any way, be it possitive or negative.Remember
you can only review a grand total of three
fics per contest.
(*)Tip: If you're not too sure if the fic you're about to review meets these requirements, be sure to send us an email with a link for it to
email@example.com (DOT, NOT UNDERSCORE!) and we'll let you know ASAP.IMPORTANT!
1. It is COMPULSORY for every contestant to obtain permission from the original writer before writing the review. Writers deserve to know what is being done to their works. If you’re granted permission, please acknowledge the writer in your review. If you’re not, simply choose another fic.
2. If you’re reviewing a fic by a writer who is inactive or no longer in LJ, you can still review it as long as the fic is available/accessable, but you have to be responsible if the writer suddenly appears and complains.
3. The organisers have the right to change any details pertaining to the contest (dates, prizes, etc.) without prior notices.
4. Information regarding the submitting format for the review and other important details will be given once sign-up period finishes. THE WRITERSIf
you’re a writer and someone wants to review on your fic, it is up to you to give permission or otherwise. But for the sake of the contest, we implore that all writers grant permission. We’re here to share. ^____^In
addition, if the review on YOUR fic wins, one of the scenes (of your choice) from your fic will be illustrated.Writers
can also join the contest, of course. (Kindly refer to clause 3 of The Review Segment of Terms & Conditions).
Please send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org (DOT, NOT UNDERSCORE!!) DEADLINES YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND!
Sign-up deadline: August 20th
Submissions deadline: August 30th
Entries will be posted starting August 31st
through September 2nd
The reviews will be judged by our panel of selected judges and organizing team for four days
, and the winners will be announced on September 6th
All reviews' authors will be revealed at that time.
(*)Tip: Don't wait until the sign up period is over to write/submit your review!
Please note that there will be no exceptions made on deadlines
, unless you have an incredibly good reason to request for one, which in any case will give you maybe an extra day to complete your submission.
We won't be horrible
and bitch at you should you choose to drop out, just make sure to let us know on time! Drop out emails should be sent to email@example.com (DOT, NOT UNDERSCORE!!), and the subject for the email should be "(username) Drop out". WINNERS AND PRIZES There
will be a panel of judges that will give each individual review an overall 1 through 10 score, and the reviews that get the top total scores will then be submitted to the organizing team, who will choose the winner and runnerups.And
, of course
all of your efforts won't be in vain! Winners will get original DBSK merchandise brought straight from the streets of Korea
Winner: TVXQ album + DBSK goods
First runnerup: TVXQ single + DBSK goods
Second runnerup: DBSK goods
(*) Note: All three of the afore-mentioned prizes could be changed at any given moment without prior notice, decided upon availability. Bonus for the original fanfiction writers
: If your fanfiction's review gets any of the first three prizes, you will be able to choose 5 scenes from your fic that will be submitted to a surprise guest artist and illustrated once the contest is closed.Once
the contest is over we'll reveal our judging panel as well as all the reviewers’ identities.Winners
will be contacted to let us know where all this stuff should be sent to :).Questions?
Simply leave a comment here or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re pretty sure you want to join, please sign up HERE!Your
resident mods are isamijae
's all for now, keep in tune for more and don't forget you can friend us
to receive further updates directly on your f-page.
Lots of love,Mods LinksRegistration page
Don’t know what a review should look like? Here is a good site: http://bookreview.mostlyfiction.com
You can ask the mods about anything related to the contest by e-mailing email@example.com
(DOT, NOT UNDERSCORE). We’re nice people. ^__^Help us pimp this contest!
Copy paste the codes of whichever banner you prefer on your journals/community. Thanks!!( Banners under the cut!!Collapse )